Our church has about 200 people attending on Sunday morning with a wide demographic of ages including lots of young families. We are an Evangelical Pentecostal Church that was planted in 1989 associated with the ACOP Fellowship (www.acop.ca). While we’ve been around for over 25 years, God is doing something new and fresh at Sonrise and that is why we are growing and need you!
We desire to continually focus on the next generation – hence we love kids, youth and young adults. We love worship, preaching, prayer, the Word, and believe and seek God for His miracles. Sonrise is also a generous church and we believe we are called to be a sending church – we currently have a mission focus in Africa, Asia, various regions of Canada and unreached people groups. We have also partnered with local faith-based and community agencies to extend hope to the world.
Our ministry team currently consists of Chris Westby, Claire Cranston and Tyler Young. Chris, our Lead Pastor, has been serving Sonrise for 3 years. Chris is a graduate of Arrow Leadership and has a MA in Leadership with over 14 years vocational ministry experience. Claire Cranston is our Children’s Pastor and Administrator. She joined our team in early 2016 – she’s the one holding everything together! Tyler Young joined our team in May 2017 to serve as the Assistant Pastor of Worship and Youth. He can pretty much do everything and is good at it! (We should also mention; our former Associate and family are moving back to their home city and will conclude their ministry at Sonrise this summer.) There are several high-level volunteer leaders in the Church who serve in the various ministries. The whole team is fun loving and passionate about serving the Church.
A little about our facilities…
We’re located on one of the busiest streets in the lower mainland, and in one of the fastest growing communities of Surrey. We have a fantastic building that is fully paid for, with room to expand. Our worship space can also be used as a sports gym and we have a commercial kitchen for hosting great church events. This church building is nothing short of a miracle in every way.
What you can expect for an interview process…
Once you send a cover letter, resume and current references we’ll review it for an initial fit. If you’re suited for the role we’ll contact you and you’ll have a chance to connect with Pastor Chris on the phone, on Skype, or in person. If we determine you’re a fit and you feel confident to move ahead, you’ll meet with our search team for another round of conversation and questions. Deadline for application is August 30th, 2017 or until the position is filled. Salary, vacation and benefits will be based on age, family make up, experience and education. One last note, we will not be accepting international applicants.
Overview of responsibilities
- Leading as the Associate Pastor to provide a high level of leadership to the Church and Sonrise ministry team
- Function at a high level of execution of vision, strategy and administration for the entire Church and leadership team
- Equip the Church and leaders to minister and grow to maturity in Jesus Christ
- Participate as part of the preaching team as necessary Particulars for role
- Lead, coach and support the Community Group Leaders (Small Groups) and the Community Groups Ministry
- Develop a team of people for Pastoral Care and engage in pastoral care and visitation, while shepherding of those in your circle of influence
- Facilitate leadership development, ministry training and teach discipleship classes to raise people up for vocational and lay ministry
- Position Sonrise to more effectively reach the next generation of youth and young adults through a progressive church culture and weekly services
- Partner with lead pastor and a creative team to dream and execute preaching series and themes
- Support the ministry of Sonrise under the leadership of our Lead Pastor
Qualifications & Skills
- A deep love for Jesus with a clear calling to serve Him through the local-church at a high level in ministry leadership
- Person of faith, enjoying a vibrant and strong pattern of personal spiritual disciplines in prayer, Bible reading, stewardship etc.
- Experienced, anointed, accomplished and genuine leader brimming with effectiveness and a desire for excellence
- A proven and confident servant-leader with solid team-building and vision-casting abilities with an eagerness to lead people and teams
- Creative, co-operative, organized, humble, dependable, flexible, teachable and passionate team player with a sense of humour
- Intentional desire for leadership development and honing their skill set and gifts Training from a recognized religious institution or school, as well a postgraduate degree or continuing development is an asset
- Meets the Biblical character and ministry qualifications of a Deacon
- Alignment with and support for Sonrise’s Vision, Purpose, Mission, Core Values, Ministry Statement, community-group emphasis and Statement of Faith
- Baptised with the Holy Spirit as an experience subsequent to salvation with the scriptural evidence of speaking in tongues
- Computer literate with proficiency in Google, Dropbox, Web and Email Platforms, Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Social Media etc.
This is a full-time, salaried position, which includes a minimum of 40 hours per week, selected evenings, special events and preparation, and all Sundays. Compensation and benefits will be discussed in the interview process and experience and education will be considered in the discussion.
Coached By (aka “Reports To”): Lead Pastor
Please email email@example.com with your resume.
Chris Westby, Lead Pastor