Education Ministries Director
Hope In Christ Church
Mission Statement: Glorifying God by knowing, living and proclaiming our Hope In Christ.
Hope In Christ Church is a well-established (50+ years) ministry of the Christian Reformed Church (CRCNA.ORG) located in Bellingham, WA, a vibrant, growing city of 90,000+ residents. Bellingham is on the shore of Bellingham Bay, a body of water connected to the Salish Sea in the beautiful Pacific Northwest. The city is strategically placed along Interstate 5, the main corridor between Seattle, WA and Vancouver, British Columbia. Being near the Canadian border has fostered the growth of a richly diverse population.
Current Challenges: We are an aging congregation with limited staff consisting of 1 full-time pastor and part-time staff including church secretary and a youth education coordinator (pre-school to high school).
Current Strengths: Approx.. 100+ enthusiastic members and a healthy budget. Our strongest ministry is Friendship, an outreach designed to serve adults with mental/physical disabilities. Next is GEMS, an outreach to young girls. We are also a support congregation for Family Promise, a nation-wide program designed to address homelessness. Volunteers teach Sunday School and lead a high school age group. Volunteers also head vibrant worship, hospitality, small groups and janitorial teams.
Two years ago, our congregation made the Spirit filled decision to move forward and become a healthy missional church. We adopted a spiritual growth model based on Congregational Vitality, a vision/pathway for becoming a healthy missional church developed by the Evangelical Covenant Church and now shared with RCA and CRC churches.
Who we are looking for:
This person reports to the Senior Pastor and is responsible to develop and oversee a cradle to grade 12 gospel-driven, grace-centered discipleship plan for those attending Hope in Christ Church.
- Love for Jesus and people, especially children
- Evidence of the Fruit of the Spirit in daily life
- Devotion to the Word of God
- Strong communication skills and the ability to motivate volunteers toward the vision of Hope in Christ.
- Clarity of vision.
- Devotion to prayer.
- Reliable, self-motivated and takes initiative.
- Able to change and grow and find it invigorating.
- Commitment to mission and vision of Hope in Christ.
- Ability to work on a team and under leadership of senior pastor and council.
Essential Discipleship Duties
- Coordinate all curriculum for Sunday morning education, cradle to grade 12.
- Coordinate and train volunteers for Sunday morning education, cradle to grade 12.
- Partner with leadership to encourage and promote broad member involvement in adult educational opportunities so that strong relationships of spiritual growth are fostered.
- Train and oversee multiplying leaders for Small groups.
- Attend administrative meetings including but not limited to Staff, Elder and Council mtgs as needed or requested.
- Reformed world and life view.
- Must become a member of Hope in Christ Church
Pay and Benefits: Contract with annual review.
8 hours per week @ $20/hr
- Base Salary: $8,320/year
- Expense Account: $500/year
- Paid Vacation: Years of Service 0-3 = 3 days; Years 4-5 = 6 days; Years 6+ = 8 days.
Total: $8,820 + payroll taxes
Start date is June 1, 2020 and it is anticipated that additional hours will be required in the months of June, July and August to establish the fall programs, after which the 8 hours per week will be normal.
To apply, please submit resume and cover letter by April 30, 2020 along with 3 references, as follows:
- Current employer
- Current pastor
- One other
Materials should be sent to Hope in Christ Church, Attn: Proposed Education Ministries Director, 710 E. Sunset Drive, Bellingham, WA 98226.
Applications will be reviewed and interviews arranged as they are received.
To learn more about Hope in Christ Church click here.
To email the staff a question about the position, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Description Approved: December 22, 2019