We are a Christian Not-for-profit organization and have a workforce of approximately 190 volunteers from various churches, organizations, and different walks of life. Our store in Langley is a part of the BFM (Canada) which is a national organization with over 50 thrift stores across Canada. The net revenue from all Mission Thrift Stores is devoted to the Joint Ministry of BFM Foundation (Canada) and Bible League Canada. These funds are used to establish adult literacy programs, provide church planter training, children’s ministry programs, and distribute Bibles in many places around the world. Mission Thrift Store Langley is currently seeking a ministry minded individual who understands, supports and will have a passion for the vision and purpose of BFM Foundation (Canada).
Job Opening: Assistant Manager (Operations Generalist)
The Assistant Manager (Operations Generalist) will have a list of general duties around the store and in addition will also oversee furniture pick-ups and the use of our truck for metal recycling, garbage removal, and flower pick-ups. The Assistant Manager (OG) will work in partnership with the management team to ensure that donated inventory moves efficiently in and out of the store on a day to day basis. This individual will be involved in sorting and pricing incoming goods, heavy lifting of large furniture items, making small repairs, as well as being one of the go-to people for final say on donations and quality control. The potential candidate will have a 3-month probationary period initially before a longer-term agreement is made.
- 40 hrs. per week (4 days during the week plus Saturdays) – part time position would be considered for successful candidate if necessary
- Salary will be determined based on experience
- Two weeks of paid vacation
- Upon successful completion of probation candidate will be eligible for a health benefits package.
- Decisiveness – the ability to say no confidently when determining whether specific donations meet our quality guidelines.
- Team work – can work with a variety of volunteers with many skill levels, physical and mental abilities, age categories, socio-economic situations and understands how to motivate volunteers
- Self-motivation – able to self-manage and work independently
- Interpersonal skills – able to relate well with people and build new relationships
- Multitasking and prioritizing – The ability to work in a fast-paced environment and prioritize tasks quickly and efficiently as different needs arise
- Delegation – Must be able to direct the work of volunteers confidently and in a respectful manner
Job Duties (General)
- Responsible for the intake of incoming donations – filtering and quality control
- Pre-sorting of incoming donations and placement of donations in appropriate departments in the back of the store
- Unloading and loading of furniture that is being donated or purchased
- Pricing of furniture, appliances, and miscellaneous items (hardware, sporting goods, and large items)
- Transferring processed furniture to the storefront
- Disposal and recycling of outdated or substandard inventory (garbage runs, wood recycling)
- Maintaining a safe and clean workspace for all parties involved
- Assists with pick-up service (scheduling and filling in when necessary as a driver)
- Attendance and contribution to weekly staff meetings; this may at times fall outside of regular working hours depending on the needs of the store
- Assist volunteers to ensure their needs are met in order to do their various jobs. Must be able to troubleshoot problems as they arise.
Job Duties (Specialized)
- Furniture pick-ups and all general use of our store truck
• Valid BC License and 10 years driving experience; ability to drive a 3-ton truck is required
• Successful applicants will require a criminal record check
• Ability to do heavy lifting (Large hutches, couches, desks etc.)
• Previous experience in a leadership role
• Retail setting experience an asset
• Volunteer experience is required
• Successful applicant will be required to complete first aid training
• Basic computer abilities including the ability to make schedules, email, and communicate within a team
How to Apply
All applicants must submit a resume along with a written statement of faith. Submissions can be made in person or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants will be considered until January 27, 2020 or until a suitable candidate is found. Only applicants being considered for the position will be contacted. We thank all others for their interest.